-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion List for issues related to cataloging & metadata education
& training [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Barbara Marson
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2009 9:30 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [eduCAT] Technical Services Sessions at ALISE

You are invited to join the Technical Services interest group at the ALISE
Birds of a Feather sessions on Wednesday, January 21 from noon until
1:45.  This year, sessions will be set up in two tables to allow
participants to move from one table to another at midpoint within the time
frame.  Following are the details on the table discussions:

Competencies of Information Organization Professional
Discussion leader: Ingrid Hsieh-Yee, Professor, School of Library &
Information Science, Catholic University of America

* What knowledge, skills, and abilities do future information
organization professionals need to have to manage information resources
effectively?

* What strategies would you recommend to help students develop these
competencies?

* A summary of a survey that explores the feasibility and sustainability
of MERIC (Metadata Education and Research Information Commons) will be
presented for participants to discuss how a service
such as MERIC can help foster the development of needed competencies.

* What roles can practitioners play in educating future information
organization professionals?

Cataloging, Classification, and Metadata
Discussion leader: Elaine Yontz, Professor, Library & Information Science
Program,Valdosta State University
* Nuts and bolts: come prepared to share one thing you are doing that's
working well.

* Task Force on educating the next generation of cataloging faculty: how
we can help.

* Pedagogy: come prepared to share resources that have helped you learn
about best practices for teaching.

Barbara Marson, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Library Science and Instructional Technology
1108 Joyner Library
East Carolina University
Greenville, NC  27858-4353
252-328-2345  Office