From: Discussion List for issues related to cataloging & metadata education & training on behalf of Richard Stewart
Sent: Sat 1/10/2009 3:28 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [eduCAT] incorporating RDA into a Cataloging and Classification class

That sounds like an excellent approach! I will steal it, if you don't mind, if I ever teach another class or workshop involving FRBR.

Richard A. Stewart
Senior Cataloger
Indian Trails Public Library District
355 South Schoenbeck Road
Wheeling, Illinois 60090-4499
USA

Tel: 847-279-2214
Fax: 847-4760
htpp://www.itpld.lib.il.us
>>> "Bloss, Marjorie" <[log in to unmask]> 01/10/09 10:47 AM >>>
I've used "What is FRBR?". It really does give an excellent overview.  I find it extremely helpful to give them an example to consider.  For me, it's Voltaire's Candide.  We start with my asking a general question:  "Have you read Candide"?  In this case, I don't have any particular edition in mind, I don't care whether it's in English or French, or Italian.  I don't care if they've read it on microfilm or microfiche or in a digital format.  I'm simply asking:  "Have you read Candide?"

We then go on to the expression where I might ask "Have you read Candide in French?"  And maybe I'm asking if they've read a specific translation.

Then on to manifestation -- at which point, I jump to a related work, Leonard Bernstein's Candide.  Conveniently, I have the phono disc of it, the CD of that phono disc, and a Broadway revival with a different cast.

Then, there's the item -- what I happen to have in my library that someone wants to check out.

After this, we play the game of "What is this in FRBR terms?"  The Harry Potter books are really good for this, as is Romeo and Juliet.

Marjorie

Marjorie E. Bloss, Lecturer
Graduate School of Library & Information Science
Dominican University