Lucas has written more, and included websites, but I thought a concise
summary wrt ISO 639-3 might help, too.

Inuvialuktun is known as Western Canadian Inuktitut [ikt] in the Part 3
standard, and Inuinnaqtun is one of a number of dialects that the
Ethnologue lists as a part of [ikt], listed there as Copper Inuktitut (the
others are listed as Netsilik and Siglit, now more commonly known as
Natsilingmiutut and Siglitun, respectively)

Tłįchǫ is known more widely as Dogrib (as Lucas said).

We may need to consider additional names, but I don't think we are missing
code elements. I think the consideration of additional names should be
deferred until the project team for part 4 makes progress, as the
principles by which language names are included/adjusted/removed must
surely be addressed by that group.

-Joan

Håvard Hjulstad <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: ISO 639 Joint Advisory Committee <[log in to unmask]>
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Names of some Canadian languages

Dear JAC members,

Please take a look at the exchange below. I got an official confirmation
that “Slavey = esclave”. So that part should be in order.

But: The “Official Languages Act” of the Northwest Territories (albeit as
old as from 1988) states in § 4:

4. Chipewyan, Cree, English, French, Gwich’in,
Inuinnaqtun, Inuktitut, Inuvialuktun, North Slavey,
South Slavey and Tåîchô are the Official Languages of
the Northwest Territories. R.S.N.W.T. 1988,
c.56(Supp.),s.4; S.N.W.T. 2003,c.23,s.5.

4. L’anglais, le chipewyan, le cri, l’esclave du Nord,
l’esclave du Sud, le français, le gwich’in, l’inuinnaqtun,
l’inuktitut, l’inuvialuktun et le tåîchô sont les langues
officielles des Territoires du Nord-Ouest. L.R.T.N.-O.
1988, ch. 56 (Suppl.), art. 4; L.T.N.-O. 2003, ch. 23, art.
5.

Also copied in as picture, since one of the names use characters beyond
the fantasy of my computer:

So we learn that what we currently have as “cr | cre | Cree | cree” should
have French name cri. Comments?

And the items Inuinnaqtun and Inuvialuktun are (as far as I can see)
totally missing in ISO 639. Am I right?

And the item Tłı̧cho̧ I can hardly write (and it probably gets corrupted
before it reaches most of you); and don’t find. Help?

Any comments would be helpful.

Best regards,
Håvard

Håvard Hjulstad