From: ISO 639 Joint Advisory Committee [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Håvard Hjulstad
Sent: January 7, 2009 4:32 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Names of some Canadian languages

Dear JAC members,

Please take a look at the exchange below. I got an official confirmation that “Slavey = esclave”. So that part should be in order.

But: The “Official Languages Act” of the Northwest Territories (albeit as old as from 1988) states in § 4:

4. Chipewyan, Cree, English, French, Gwich’in,

Inuinnaqtun, Inuktitut, Inuvialuktun, North Slavey,

South Slavey and Tåîchô are the Official Languages of

the Northwest Territories. R.S.N.W.T. 1988,

c.56(Supp.),s.4; S.N.W.T. 2003,c.23,s.5.

4. L’anglais, le chipewyan, le cri, l’esclave du Nord,

l’esclave du Sud, le français, le gwich’in, l’inuinnaqtun,

l’inuktitut, l’inuvialuktun et le tåîchô sont les langues

officielles des Territoires du Nord-Ouest. L.R.T.N.-O.

1988, ch. 56 (Suppl.), art. 4; L.T.N.-O. 2003, ch. 23, art.

5.

Also copied in as picture, since one of the names use characters beyond the fantasy of my computer:

So we learn that what we currently have as “cr | cre | Cree | cree” should have French name cri. Comments?

And the items Inuinnaqtun and Inuvialuktun are (as far as I can see) totally missing in ISO 639. Am I right?

And the item Tłı̧cho̧ I can hardly write (and it probably gets corrupted before it reaches most of you); and don’t find. Help?

Any comments would be helpful.

Best regards,

Håvard

Håvard Hjulstad

  Standard Norge / Standards Norway

  [log in to unmask] <blocked::mailto:[log in to unmask]>