Hi, Melodie,

It is hard to say precisely how bad it is. Many tapes if they did not
have their ends secured (and please don't use clips that go into the
tape pack inside the flanges, please see
http://is.gd/iYLH  for a safe way to do it) the outer layers become
loose and the tape becomes, ummm, less flat.

This will usually behave reasonably well. As Lou pointed out, acetate
and polyester tape will behave differently. This is usually more
prevalent on acetate tape than polyester--at least that's where I've seen it.

Here are some winding articles from my blog...
http://is.gd/iYLR
http://is.gd/iYLY
http://is.gd/iYM9
http://is.gd/iYMl

It appears that deformed tapes will play better on some machines than
others. This is an area where I find my A80s excel. However, I don't
have as many track formats on the A80 as I do on other platforms.
Also, if the tapes are full-track mono, playing them with a
full-track head can work wonders -- it's a good rule to always match
the head to the tape. Here is a really good method of determining how
the is recorded
http://is.gd/iYMV

Here is a page about azimuth with an audio demo
http://is.gd/iYNP

Also, here is a page discussing matching tracks to heads -- this is
the specific case of the very popular substitution of a DIN head for
an NAB head in two-track stereo.
http://is.gd/iYOb

Gettnig back to the effect of the possible damage, while the physical
damage certainly has a role to play, the "how bad is it" is as much
-- or more -- a factor of the recording speed and the track width.
This is crucial. A full-track 15 in/s tape that will play fine with a
certain amount of damage would be rather unlistenable at 3.75 in/s
quarter track, for example.

Cheers,

Richard