Sarah Norris wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for any manufacturing information available about Ampex 456 and Shamrock 041 tape.  Anything would help, including manufacturing dates and anything known about materials or formulations used.  All information and references are much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Sarah Norris

These were made in the former Orradio Irish Tape factory in Opelika,
Alabama which Ampex bought in the early 60s.  Shamrock 041 is 1 mil, 031
is 1.5  mil, and 051 is 1/2 mil.  Shamrock, also found in Radio Shack
Concertape boxes among many other brands, came in many different
varieties.  You could find brown oxide, standard non-backcoated black
oxide, polished black oxide with carbon backcoating, and brown oxide
with lubricated graphite backcoating that was normally used for winding
continuous loop tape cartridges.  When the  boxes were shrinkwraped you
had no way of knowing what you would get.  I used to buy shrinkwrapped
Concertape in discounted quantities of 10, and never did I get ten of
the same type!  In the early 70s I used to go to the main mailorder
warehouse of Olson Electronics in Chicago which let me go thru the
factory cartons of  un-shrinkwrapped Shamrock 041 and pick which reels I
wanted if I bought them in multiples of 50.  Types were mixed in every
one of those factory cartons of 50. Unfortunately I went for the quality
stuff -- black oxide carbon backcoated.  DAMN.  So thre is nothing
consistant about the 0X1 series.

Mike Biel  [log in to unmask]