Hi Michele,

I deal with very similar issues, so I thought I'd chime in.

1)
Right now, we collect anything that might be considered a "supporting file" in our locally developed Digital Repository, which was built with EAD-integration in mind (though aspects of this are still being developed).  As such, we currently try to capture every instance of a "patron request" for digitization from our Special Collections department and add these to our digital repository:
http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/
and also link those items to/from the finding aid.

So, my personal suggestion would be to start adding these "supporting files" to your ContentDM system and manage/integrate them from that end.  That said, it would also be nice if this sort of planning was worked into EAC (though I really don't know the state of that working group), so that portraits and images from different institutions could be associated with particular authority files of EAC records (at least, that's according to how I like to think about the potential for EAC).

As for "supporting lists in spreadsheet form", I've been putting this into the EAD itself (rightly or wrongly) by means of the <index> tag when that information was available in electronic form.  Here's a crude example:
http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/special/ead/findingaids/0248/#container
[click on "View Index" in Box 1, Folder a]

2)
We generally only use the "change tracking" element for a major revision rather than typo corrections.  I'm not sure, though, that this is a good idea, but there's nothing in our particular system to make this sort of tracking tenable for the time being (I think that it would have to be automated in the system, much like revision control in a wiki, and this is probably something that we should have in place).

3)
We currently try to update the finding aid for every new accession and put this info our <acqinfo> section.  If a preliminary container list is done at the same time as the accession, then yes, we go ahead and put this into the EAD (right now, we separate our processed "container lists" from our unprocessed "container lists").  Here's an example (though we'll probably change the wording during our redesign, as right now we have "container list" and "preliminary inventory"):
http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/special/ead/findingaids/0629/#container

Mark Custer