Joachim,

Using xlink:href as you describe is considered the proper way in MODS to
reference an authority. A related example is in the MARC 21 to MODS mapping
(http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/mods-mapping.html), which shows that
subfield 0 (zero) in MARC 21 is equivalent to use of the xlink attribute in
MODS.

However, xlink can be used in a MODS record for a variety of external
linking purposes, some of them having nothing to do with authority records
or authority URIs. That seems to me to present problems for processing a
MODS record. I wonder if MODS users will find they want a more specific
attribute defined that can only contain an authority URI. So, I'm not
convinced that use of xlink is the best practice in the long term for
encoding a link to an authority URI. I will raise this issue with the
MODS/MADS Editorial Committee.

Joe Altimus
Arizona State University Libraries