Joachim,
For what it's worth, we have a similar situation.  We need to record
parallel headings in different scripts (Arabic and Romanized Arabic) in
Name, Title, and Subject fields.  Our solution is similar to your first
example (we also have @script).  Embarrassingly, our URIs don't actually
resolve to anything (yet?); they're really just there as keys to bind
the two fields together in a way that is not otherwise reflected in the
structure of the data .  I have to admit that this always felt like a
bit of a workaround for functionality that should exist in MODS, but, as
you point out, these terms are simply different labels for the same
concept, so maybe it's not so bad after all. :-)

Another solution we considered was to use @ID on one element and a hash
link from the other parallel fields, i.e.:
> <subject authority="stw" ID="thisSubject" lang="en">
>   <topic>Financial crisis</topic>
> </subject>
> <subject authority="stw" xlink:href="#thisSubject" lang="de">
>   <topic>Finanzmarktkrise</topic>
> </subject>
to me this falsely implies that one version is subordinate to the other.
For us it would have been a slightly better solution because we don't
have real URIs, but I fully expect that this is only  a matter of time
(http://id.loc.gov/ !).

There was a similar discussion on this list sometime in the past year
about how to link name and title headings. I can't seem to find it in
the list archives, but maybe someone else will remember if it ever came
to anything.

Best of luck,
Jon

Jon Stroop