My understanding of multiple topic elements under a subject element were that they were a part of the overall subject, e.g.:

<subject>

  <topic>Architecture</topic>

  <topic>Awards</topic>

</subject>

would be the subject “Architecture--Awards”.  What I thought was at issue was they wanted to use one subject element for two different language variants.  So they have a topic for “Financial crisis” in English and the language variant “Finanzmarktkrise”, but wanted to use one subject element to describe both.  They really do need two subject elements to describe each language variant.  Otherwise what they proposed:

(We don't really like the de-normalized form. Much better would be:

<subject authority="stw" xlink:href="http://zbw.eu/stw/descriptor/19664-4">

  <topic lang="en">Financial crisis</topic>

  <topic lang="de">Finanzmarktkrise</topic>

</subject>

would result in the subject “Financial crisis--Finanzmarktkrise” which would not be correct.  You are correct that you can have multiple topic elements under a subject element, per the MODS schema, which was a misimpression by them, but I don’t think they want to do what they are proposing.

Andy.