________________________________

	Von: Metadata Object Description Schema List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] Im Auftrag von Joe Altimus
	Gesendet: Donnerstag, 19. Februar 2009 17:32
	An: [log in to unmask]
	Betreff: Re: [MODS] references to authority records

	Joachim,

	Using xlink:href as you describe is considered the proper way in
MODS to reference an authority. A related example is in the MARC 21 to
MODS mapping (http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/mods-mapping.html),
which shows that subfield 0 (zero) in MARC 21 is equivalent to use of
the xlink attribute in MODS.

	However, xlink can be used in a MODS record for a variety of
external linking purposes, some of them having nothing to do with
authority records or authority URIs. That seems to me to present
problems for processing a MODS record. I wonder if MODS users will find
they want a more specific attribute defined that can only contain an
authority URI. So, I'm not convinced that use of xlink is the best
practice in the long term for encoding a link to an authority URI. I
will raise this issue with the MODS/MADS Editorial Committee.

	Joe Altimus
	Arizona State University Libraries

	On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 1:51 AM, Neubert Joachim