For a truly portable (as opposed to 'transportable') recorder, I
concur with others that the Ampex 601 might be adequate.

A machine to absolutely avoid would be the Ampex PR-10.  (A later
version whose model number I cannot recall was manufactured with
'solid-state' electronics.)  My experience is that even with a great
deal of care lavished upon it, one could not be made to pull tape past
the heads in a stable fashion.

In my opinion, a Nagra IV represents THE golden age in analog
recording.  Through the 1980s, NPR engineers often used them (and even
more frequently their mic preamps) when making studio recordings.

-Jan Andrews