This was a paper presented at last year's International Conference on
Music Information Retrieval:

"The Liner Notes Digitization Project: Providing Users With Cultural,
Historical, and Critical Music Information"

http://ismir2008.ismir.net/papers/ISMIR2008_268.pdf

A little more here:
http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1255175.1255298

Sounds like a start. I would love to see an institution step forward,
but considering the risk it may be up to collectors with scanners. No
more context-free Folkways albums!

-Franz Kunst