Why must it be a tape machine?  The Metric Halo MI/O would be my first
choice for taking on the road.  There are numerous other options -
especially if one already has a laptop.  The sound quality will be better,
if a good preamp is pared with a decent modern A/D converter (<duck>).  And
one could easily muck it up to taste using fancy plug-ins (<duck, duck>).
Or is it a form of fakir-ism? Going to a lot of extra trouble and getting
unreliable results, both being secondary in importance to the thrill of
using an antique tool?

Andrew