Bill,
It's a little hard to be certain about this without seeing your full example.  However, I think that the problem is probably with the version of MODS that is being referenced in the METS instance.  It appears to me that version 3.1 of MODS does not support an ID attribute on relatedItem.  Versions 3.2 and 3.3 do.  I would recommend using version 3.3 of MODS since this is the current version.

Under version 3.3 of MODS, I had no trouble getting oXygen to validate the kind of ID/IDREF references your student is attempting to construct.  Under 3.1 I get the same error message as your student.

Best,

Rick Beaubien
Technical Chair, METS Editorial Board

Bill Walker wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

Dear Collective Wisdom:

I was wondering if someone could help me with a validation problem.

I am grading a student’s METS object, which has ID/IDREF linking between <mods:relatedItem ID=”nh003gif”> and </mets:file DMDID=”nh003gif”> The values in each attribute are the same—I have checked them over and over again.  Moreover the values work in other METS objects submitted by other students.  Why does my Oxygen XML editor return the error, “There is no ID/IDREF binding for IDREF 'nh003gif”?

It appears that the system does not recognize the ID attribute in <mods:relatedItem>.

Any tips for resolving this problem?

Thanks,

Bill Walker

Imaging Field Services Officer

Amigos Library Services,

14400 Midway Road,

Dallas, TX 75244-3509

800-843-8482 x2853

972-340-2853 (direct)

972-991-6061 (fax)

Email: [log in to unmask]

Web: www.amigos.org

--
Rick Beaubien
Software Engineer, Research and Development

Contact information:
505-466-6630

88 Herrada Rd
Santa Fe, NM 87508