I'll try to address all the points made in this thread.

-  The most current version of MODS will always be maintainted at:
http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/mods.xsd
and in addition will be maintained at a version-specific URL.  Since 3.3 is
the most current version, the schemas at the two URLs
http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/mods.xsd, and
http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/v3/mods-3-3.xsd are identical (though at
different locations).

- "Can  users count on the more generic URL always pointing to the most
recent  version of the MODS schema that is backwards compatible through
version  3.1?"   No.  Once we go to version 4.0, then the 4.0 schema will be
at   http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/mods.xsd.
We could maintain the most recent 3.x version at
http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/v3/mods.xsd   if that would be useful. So
let's say we have a version 3.4, then 3.5, and then 4.0.   Then the version
3.5 schema would remain permanenty at
http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/v3/mods.xsd .    Note, we have no plans to
do this, but we could if there was a demand for it.

-   "(I believe that there is a break in compatibility between version  3.0
and 3.1)."  No, there was a break in compatibility from version 2 to version
3.0, but not from version 3.0 to version 3.1.

-  "I am asking this because of  its implications for how the schemaLocation
in mods instances should be  set up." schemaLocation should never be set to
http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/mods.xsd.   If you create a MODS record
with the intention that it conforms to version 3.3 (but not necessarily to
any higher version), then schemaLocation should  be
http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/v3/mods-3-3.xsd

- On the MODS namespace URI:  when we go to version 4, the namespace URI
will change.   It will remain the same for all future 3.x versions.

I've tried to capture all the questions in the thread, let me know if I
missed any.

--Ray

From: "Rick Beaubien" <[log in to unmask]>