Thanks very much for the clarifications, Ray.

I personally would find it clearer, cleaner, safer and potentially more
useful if MODS maintained any generic schema urls at the integral
version level, and if such generic URLS resolved to the most recent,
backwards compatible version of the MODS schema within an integral
version series of MODS schemas.  In other words, I think it would be
better if the most recent version of the mods schema representing the
"http://www.loc.gov/mods/v3" target namespace were available at
"http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/v3/mods.xsd".  (Offhand I have to
wonder how mods users are employing the non integral version specific,
generic mods URL, although I suppose it does provide a shorthand way of
getting to the most recent schema in an informal context.)

Such a practice would also align with the way the METS Board intends to
manage the METS schema generic URL--or at least intended the last time
we discussed the matter.  However, with METS I think we made a very
short-sighted mistake by not including a version 1 designation in either
the target namespace URI (http://www.loc.gov/METS/) or the generic URL
(http://www.loc.gov/standards/mets/mets.xsd) associated with version 1
of the schema. We are still in Version 1 of METS, but when and if we
move to a version 2 series of the schema, we will clearly need to add a
version designation to the target namespace URI for version 2
(http://www.loc.gov/METS/v2) as well as create a generic, version 2 URL
(http://www.loc.gov/standards/mets/v2/mets.xsd) that will always yield
the current METS schema in the version 2 series.

Rick Beaubien