Dear all,

Thank you for your constructive ideas. The main point in my original posting
was how to prevent the development of all kinds of workarounds to create
book_review descriptions in MODS. Therefore, I proposed a possible solution.

I hope the MODS/MAPS committee will come with good suggestions. We have had
a look on the genre "review", but we've decided not to use it becasue of the
lacking of a good definition. This is exactly what Karen Coyle mentioned.

I agree with Karen that there are related problems to be solved. But on the
other hand, we see in Europe in the more traditional repositories the
standard set of publication types, all of them described in the "MODS
samples", except for the type "book review".

So, I hope we can find an acceptable way to describe "book reviews" in order
to create uniform and exchangeable records.

Arjan Hogenaar

Riley, Jenn wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> The MODS/MADS Editorial Committee has just begun the process of analyzing
> proposals for changes to the next version of MODS. We're currently
> planning both a new minor release (3.4) and a major release (4.0). 3.4
> will be backwards compatible to 3.3 and therefore only be able to
> introduce certain types of changes. 4.0 will not be backwards compatible
> and therefore offer us the opportunity to make some structural and
> otherwise significant changes, such as greater use of externally-defined
> vocabularies and properties. We'll start posting to the list and the MODS
> web sites reports of our conversations as they happen.
>
> The conversation in this thread has suggested both short-term (3.4) and
> long-term (4.0) ways in which the problem raised might be addressed in
> MODS. I expect this issue will be on our discussion agenda for our next
> call in two weeks, March 25. Thanks for re-raising the book review issue,
> Arjan, and stay tuned for information on the Editorial Committee's
> discussion.
>
> In the meantime, we're actively reviewing change proposals, so if you have
> them, post them here!
>
> Jenn Riley
> Chair, MODS/MADS Editorial Committee

> Jenn Riley
> Metadata Librarian
> Digital Library Program
> Indiana University - Bloomington
> Wells Library W501
> (812) 856-5759
> www.dlib.indiana.edu
>
> Inquiring Librarian blog: www.inquiringlibrarian.blogspot.com

>>> repositories. The main reason to do so is the higher granularity MODS