One of our developers made the suggestion that MADS should have an ID attribute for every element, and not just the top-level ones but subelements as well.

The situation that prompted that comment:   We are using MADS records in connection with our ETDs and using the <affiliation><organization> element.  We would like to be able to use an identifier for an authority record or controlled form for the organization.  But, neither <affiliation> nor <organization> has an ID attribute we could use.

I have not gone through all of the elements in detail looking for ones where an ID attribute would make no sense, but from scanning through the list of elements, perhaps it could be left off of <identifier> ...

Laura

Laura Akerman
Technology and Metadata Librarian
Robert W. Woodruff Library