Network Bulletin No.:    09-08

Date:        March 13, 2009

Subject:  Staff, NLS
Index term:   Dawn Stitzel appointed head  of NLS Reference Section

Dawn Stitzel, former director of the Baltimore-based Jacobus tenBroek Library at the National
Federation for the Blind, was appointed head of the NLS Reference Section, effective February 17,
2009.

A native of Georgetown, Delaware, Stitzel earned a bachelor's degree in history from the University
of Delaware at Newark, where she graduated Phi Beta Kappa. She has three master's degrees: in
international affairs from Drew University in Madison, New Jersey; in American history from Duke
University in Durham, North Carolina; and in library science from the University of Maryland,
College Park.

Before leading the Jacobus tenBroek Library, Stitzel spent seven years at the U.S. Naval Institute in
Annapolis, Maryland, first as the manager of the library and photo archive, and then as the deputy
director of the History, Reference, and Preservation Division. Prior to that, she worked as a reference
librarian at the Office of Naval Intelligence in Suitland, Maryland. She also taught English for two
years as a United States Peace Corps volunteer in rural Thailand.

"I am excited to be at NLS," Stitzel remarked. "I look forward to building on the past successes of
the NLS Reference Section and providing the best possible service to our patrons."

For further information contact:

Frank Kurt Cylke
Director
(202) 707-5104