Hi Mary,
What a delightful surprise to receive your message. It sounds as if
retirment is treating you well. I will have to check for your books since
now I know they were written by THE Mary Johnson. I envy your time free to
travel and do so many things. I'm so glad things are working out well for
you.

As you might guess, I'm still teaching. My husband had to retire earlier due
to health conditions. Between that and the recent losses in our pension
fund, I've had to postpone retirement for a while. (I'd hoped to go at the
end of this year.) It's mostly ok. I love working with students, but I have
two little granchildren now and would like to spend more time with them,
too. As I'm sure things changed in your school, we spend lots of time
"gathering data" now - a nice way to say testing. As with most things, a
little is fine, but there is a trade off when we have to spend so much time
on it.

The American Fellow program really sparked my interest in history so I went
back and got my graduate certification in public history (about half of a
master's - just couldn't manage the whole thing.) I work with both the local
museum and the Wisconsin Historical Society on how schools can use their
collections. As long as I was still teaching, I also decided to submit a
proposal for one of the new LOC lesson plans this spring. They accepted my
lesson on Women's Contributions during World War II. It is something I've
always wanted to do; my mom was a Navy nurse and I love reading the women's
accounts on the LOC's Veteran's History site. This lesson process is like
the American Fellows experience except it is all online. We have a Google
Group and share ideas and suggestions that way. I've enjoyed it, but miss
actually meeting the people in our group. As always, though, the people are
fantastic. The leader of our group is Leni Dolan's AMFellow partner -
Kathleen Ferenz. I've learned about all sorts of things - like Google Groups
and Google Docs, and Flickr. I'd never heard of them before. It certainly
keeps me learning.

It's exciting to hear you've written two books. I've always wanted to do at
least one. But I guess that's famous last words for a lot of people. I'm
hoping to eventually write a nonfiction juvenile biography on a local
person. We'll see how things go.

Kim Wardean is also still teaching here. She is an amazing team leader and
Nationally Certified teacher - we are so lucky she's stayed. Her boys are
all growing up quickly with two in high school and one middle school. (They
were babes when we were in Washington.) I will pass along your greetings.

I've also wondered what has become of the rest of our group. I was so sad to
hear of Leni's passing. Hopefully all others are well. It is still fun to
keep in touch with Judy Graves and Elizabeth Brown. And now you! Keep in
touch and give my best to Linda if you get the chance. Take care.

Patricia Solfest
Altoona Schools
839-6030 (317)