From: Encoded Archival Description List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of <Kenneth J Chandler>
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 2:17 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Ethical issues raised by EAD encoding

About fully digitized (or microfilmed) collections:

When fully digitizing or microfilming for publication a collection with
potential privacy issues (such as, the people might still be alive), it is
essential to survey each and every item for problems -- and redact or
exclude from publication the problematic information. Wholesale
digitization and publishing of papers of modern origin without such an
item-level review would pose strong ethical and possibly legal questions.

An example I can think of from my collections are a series about an
educational program in the records of an organization we house. The records
contain the names and addresses of students -- along with frank and
sometimes negative evaluations of their abilities, behavior, living
conditions, and commitment to learning. Some of these students are likely
still alive. If we should choose to publish these records, we would have to
decide whether to exclude the series from publication, or selectively
redact from each page the information that would identify an individual.
The decision of which to do would likely depend on the resultant value of
the body of information left after the redaction.

Kenneth J. Chandler
Archivist
Mary McLeod Bethune Council House NHS
National Archives for Black Women's History
1318 Vermont Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20005-3607

                      "Custer, Mark"
                      <[log in to unmask]>        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      Sent by: Encoded         cc:       (bcc: Kenneth Chandler/NACE/NPS)
                      Archival                 Subject:  Re: Ethical issues raised by EAD encoding
                      Description List

                      04/21/2009 12:21
                      PM AST
                      Please respond to
                      Encoded Archival
                      Description List

Michele, that makes perfect sense (and I completely overlooked that since
I’ve yet to use that attribute)!

So, since I’ve never used @audience, it would be easy for me to use it
exclusively for redactions (i.e. “internal”) if so needed.  However, if
someone else is using “internal audience” for something slightly different,
I suppose that that wouldn’t be the case.   But that still leaves questions
in regards to sharing EAD records.  Either way, though, I don’t think that
it would permit you to set an expiration date (unless I’m overlooking yet
another general attribute or simpler solution)?

As for the bigger picture, a processing archivist currently has control
over a finding aid that he/she authors.  They are able to make the decision
about the level of identifiable granularity that they want to provide
(though these decisions are certainly not impartial, or always fully
considered), but there’s a question lingering about whether such a decision
– whether documented or not –  will be upheld after the collection starts
to go online and/or if finding aids begin to incorporate editable features
(for example, by permitting researchers to add their notes).

In the case of fully digitized collections, though, this is simply not a
question anymore, as there will be many items in the collection that
haven’t been fully looked at or comprehended before being made accessible
to many-more-than-before.

This is fascinating from a research/access point of view, but it will
inevitably produce new privacy issues (legal, ethical, and both) that will
need to be addressed.  There is little denying, I’d contend, that a search
engine has the power to re-bestow currency, if only temporarily, to
outdated or even false information.  And, in my opinion, that’s certainly
something that should be considered during this transition.

Mark