So now we know that it technically can be done, but should it be done?

I personally agree with Joyce's earlier post.  The UNC symposium was
certainly a thought-provoking and interesting day, with many
perspectives voiced about privacy and ethical issues surrounding the
large scale digitization of entire manuscript collections.

Most of the time,  decisions about use and restrictions are made at the
collection level upon acquisition, as are our decisions about processing
priority.  Most repositories discourage restrictions, or, at the very
least, try to put an end date on the restriction.  Prior to EAD online
finding aids, most of us probably would not have given a second thought
as to whether restricted portions of a collection would be mentioned in
the container list of a finding aid.

During later processing - which is often when the EAD finding aid is
created - the processing archivist may discover individual series or
files that contain records that should be restricted for either privacy
or ethical issues (social security numbers, medical records, etc.) .
However,  the fact that this material exists within the collection
should not be hidden from researchers.  The EAD finding aid merely
points to and describes the collection, it does not display the
collection.   If personal names need to be hidden for some reason, why
not simply change the folder title to something more generic ? And, use
the appropriate EAD tag to offer information about use or access
restrictions - which may change in the future.

Having said that, I do think it's important to be more careful when
digitizing entire collections and presenting them online.  With all of
the talk about large scale digitization of manuscript collections, I've
noted that many take the position that large scale digitization is
defined as digitizing everything in the collection.  As desirable as
that may be, I feel that there are certainly items/files within the
collection that should not be digitized.  These will most probably be
discovered and identified by the processing archivist, who also creates
the finding aid and, who, in my opinion, should be making the "final
cut" (appraisal) for full digitization.

The beauty of having the digital files/digitized collection presented
online with, or as part of the EAD finding aid is that researchers know
immediately what is available online and what is not.   And again,
should that material become unrestricted, the digital files can be
integrated at a later date, without changing the finding aid.    I think
it's also important for us to be realistic about workflow and resources
and try to minimize the effort required for additional encoding, later
changes, and individual file or item redaction in the finding aids.

Barbara D. Aikens

Chief, Collections Processing

Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution

Ph: 202-633-7941

email:  [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Mailing Address

Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution

PO Box 37012

Victor Bldg., Suite 2200, MRC 937

Washington, DC  20013-7012