It certainly does raise a host of privacy issues (and, though, something like Facebook certainly does too, we’re certainly not at a network level of involvement that has opt-out options), so I would assume that most actions taken, up until this point, have been in the category of “removal upon request”.

This February, the Southern Historical Collections at UNC hosted a symposium that was titled “The Legal and Ethical Implications of Large-Scale Digitization of Manuscript Collections.”  Though the majority of discussion focused on the ethical implications of making fully digitized collections available online, there was also some interesting discussion that centered around the finding aids as well.  If I remember correctly, someone there mentioned that they even occasionally redact names in the finding aid in the following manner:

This, of course, led me to wonder if EAD should have a redacted tag (or attribute).  One possible approach to this, if so, would be to replace all elements in a finding aid that needed protection with an empty redacted tag in a surrogate EAD file (the master file, that wouldn’t be harvestable or used for transformation, would remain redaction free, since all redactions should be reversible).  A stylesheet could then transform the surrogate EAD file, mimicking paper-based redactions with blacked-out styling.  And, if everything was in some sort of nice management system, the master file could replace the surrogate file once all of the redactions in that collection reached their expiration date.

Mark Custer