I agree with those who say to make up, in whole or in part, some of the titles that you use on the exam. this is particularly helpful when you need to find something that illustrates a particular problem and reality won't cooperate when you need it to!  However, I think it is worth using items with copy, particularly if you can find a 2nd or 3rd editions with some areas of difference from the edition you use on the exam (like the ed. statement, pagination, etc.).  I say this because in real life, we consult other catalogs, earlier editions, etc. all the time. I teach my staff to do this when faced with skimpy copy and I taught my students, especially, to do this when I taught cataloging. We simply don't catalog in a vacuum. Philosophically, I am inclined to think that the way we teach cataloging should be consistent with the way we practice cataloging. If you can find copy that is missing information or contains mistakes you will have hit the teacher's jackpot!

Colleen Valente
Head of Technical Services
Library
Auburn University at Montgomery