Riley, Jenn wrote:
> Changes for 3.4 approved on March 25, 2009:

<snip/>
> - Define <!criptTerm> under <language>: a new subelement of <language> will be introduced, <!criptTerm>, with attributes type (code, text) and authority. This will allow explicit and standardized indication (using iso15924) of the script used in a resource.
>
> - Add lang, xml:lang, script and transliteration attributes to all MODS elements: This will introduce more flexibility for adding specific elements to a MODS record using multiple languages.

Jenn,
These changes will be very useful to us!  Wondering, though, (since I
try to harp on this to someone at least every few months), if there will
be a way to link transliterated and native script fields.  For example,
we have:

<seq>
  <mods:titleInfo script="Latn" lang="persian">
    <mods:title>Murāsalāt</mods:title>
  </mods:titleInfo>
  <mods:titleInfo script="Arab" lang="persian">
    <mods:title>مراسلات</mods:title>
  </mods:titleInfo>
</seq>

and

<seq>
  <mods:name type="personal" authority="naf" script="Latn" lang="persian">
    <mods:namePart>ʻAbd al-Razzāq Kamāl al-Dīn ibn Isḥāq al-Samarqandī</mods:namePart>
    <mods:namePart type="date">1413-1482</mods:namePart>
    <mods:role>
      <mods:roleTerm authority="marcrelator" type="code">aut</mods:roleTerm>
    </mods:role>
  </mods:name>
  <mods:name type="personal" authority="naf" script="Arab" lang="persian">
    <mods:namePart>عبد الرزاق كمال الدين بن اسحاق السمرقندي</mods:namePart>
      <!-- (note that we have left the dates off of the Arabic script version
	name; the new namePart/@script will allow us to add it!) -->
    <mods:role>
      <mods:roleTerm authority="marcrelator" type="code">aut</mods:roleTerm>
    </mods:role>
  </mods:name>
</seq>

In both cases the second element in the sequence is the native script,
and the first is a transliteration.  Right now we xlink one to the
other, but it's a hack.  We need to explicitly link  the fields because
many of our records have several name entries, and using the role (or
title/@type) doesn't work.  We have these kinds of pairs for name-title
subjects and relatedItems as well (which also raises, again, the
name-title problem, further compounded by the lack of ability to link
transliterations).

The ideal solution, it seems to me, would be a common parent element,
thus helping us to avoid recording the role and dates twice.  Is the
addition of @script on the deeper mods elements intended to be used like
this?:

<mods:name type="personal" authority="naf" lang="persian">
  <mods:namePart script="Latn">ʻAbd al-Razzāq Kamāl al-Dīn ibn Isḥāq al-Samarqandī</mods:namePart>
  <mods:namePart script="Arab">عبد الرزاق كمال الدين بن اسحاق السمرقندي</mods:namePart>
  <mods:namePart type="date">1413-1482</mods:namePart>
  <mods:role>
    <mods:roleTerm authority="marcrelator" type="code">aut</mods:roleTerm>
  </mods:role>
</mods:name>

This looks convenient but I don't love it--I'd like to know explicitly
that the two namePart[not(@type)]s are alternate versions of one
another, though maybe @script is enough to imply this.

I may be setting myself up to be relegated as an edge case, but does
anyone else have this need or a solution?  Right now we're only dealing
with Arabic, but Chinese and Russian are close on the horizon.

-Jon

--
Jon Stroop
Metadata Analyst