I agree. Whole heartedly. You said it well.

After attending several WorldCons and a couple of DragonCons I find
the attitude at WorldCon exclusive and at DragonCon inclusive.
DragonCon is so huge and crowded I have personal space issues when I
go but heck, if they are going to invite me to be on panels and the
panels include stellar writers such as Justine Larbalestier, Tamora
Pierce, and Holly Black that is where I'm going to go.

I  went to my first DragonCon because Scott Westerfeld, who writes
excellent SF that was recommended to me by Vernor Vinge had mentioned
that he and Justine would be attending it instead of WorldCon. What I
found were readers who weren't worried about strict classifications of
genre or what genre a writer was perceived as. They were excited to
talk about good books read.  A lot of great sf, fantasy, and
paranormal is being published by some of the romance houses and
DragonCon does seem to value those authors as much as it values those
published by traditionally sf or fantasy houses.

DragonCon is huge and most of the media coverage focuses on the tv,
movie, and celebrity aspects but there are also several tracks for
readers that are well attended by well read fans passionate about the
genre.

One of my soapboxes is how WorldCon refuses to see YA or teen as part
of the sf mainstream and won't even consider a YA category for the
Hugo awards. Right now YA publishing is hot and many of the best
writers are writing to this market.  Teen sf readers tend to be bright
and thoughtful. Most sf fans are hooked on the genre in their teens so
during this renaissance of sf it isn't surprising that the publishers
are all over it. Most of my favorite sf books last year were published
as teen books and there is not one iota of difference in quality
between them and sf published las year as adult.

Happy reading,
Diana Tixier Herald
http://www.genrefluent.com
http://twitter.com/genrelibrarian
Rosenberg's First Law - "Never apologize for your reading tastes."