Susan Baugh wrote:
> Instead of cliquish, I suspect that they are snobs. Vampire fiction is
> hot in the current market place, so some feel that it can't be real
> fantasy or science fiction. I believe that this mind set is currently
> killing SF/F fandom.

Snobbish or cliquish, I guess you mean by your observations that
attendance of "real" SF/F conventions is down, because us snobs or
cliques don't realize that Harry Potter fans or Stephenie Meyer fans are
in fact part of fandom. I think the snobbishness or cliquishness is part
of both sides of that. I've seen Star Trek clubs get peeved because too
much attention was paid to authors, while old-timers think there are
too many Klingons running around the con. Some expansion of
horizons seems to be needed all around.

Diana Harold wrote:
> One of my soapboxes is how WorldCon refuses to see YA or teen as
> part of the sf mainstream and won't even consider a YA category for
> the Hugo awards. Right now YA publishing is hot and many of the
> best writers are writing to this market.

Well, Rowling did win the Hugo in recent memory, and there've been
others, so it's not as if YA authors are excluded. There are awards for
YA SF/F (e.g. Golden Ducks), too. I'm inclined to side with the Hugo
committee on that - I think there are already too many categories, where
only a small fraction of the voting members even know what they're
voting for. (I'm not inclined to debate if YA writers are better than those
writing for the adult market. But even if they were, why would that call
for a separate Hugo category?)

--
  Helge Moulding
  mailto:[log in to unmask]                        Just another guy