Diana Herald wrote:

> I agree. Whole heartedly. You said it well.
>
> After attending several WorldCons and a couple of DragonCons I find
> the attitude at WorldCon exclusive and at DragonCon inclusive.
> DragonCon is so huge and crowded I have personal space issues when I
> go but heck, if they are going to invite me to be on panels and the
> panels include stellar writers such as Justine Larbalestier, Tamora
> Pierce, and Holly Black that is where I'm going to go.

clippage

> One of my soapboxes is how WorldCon refuses to see YA or teen as part
> of the sf mainstream and won't even consider a YA category for the
> Hugo awards. Right now YA publishing is hot and many of the best
> writers are writing to this market. Teen sf readers tend to be bright
> and thoughtful. Most sf fans are hooked on the genre in their teens so
> during this renaissance of sf it isn't surprising that the publishers
> are all over it. Most of my favorite sf books last year were published
> as teen books and there is not one iota of difference in quality
> between them and sf published las year as adult.

Interesting point of view, and of course, entirely opinion, although there are some misconceptions included in the last paragraph quoted.

>how WorldCon refuses to see YA or teen as part of the sf mainstream

Each Worldcon is run by a completely different organization, so saying that "Worldcon" as a whole does this or that is just flat out wrong. The only thing "Worldcon" must do, is hold a business meeting and announced the Hugos. Everything else varies year-by-year and committee-by-committee. Some years there has been more focus on YA literature, some year's less. "Worldcon" doesn't "refuse" to do anything because it is not run by a single group the way Dragon*Con is.

> WorldCon...won't even consider a YA category for the Hugo awards

This should actually read WSFS.... But how do you know? Have you ever proposed it to the WSFS Business meeting which decide the rules and categories for the Hugo Award? That is the only way to add or take away a category since the category's are mandated by the WSFS Constitution. In the year's I've been following the WSFS Constitution, an amendment for a YA Hugo has never been proposed. Until someone who is a member of WSFS (any member of Worldcon) proposes an amendment, WSFS can't consider it. And any category addition takes two years to ratify. A few years ago, a proposal was raised to break dramatic presentation into two, it was passed (took two years), the same was done for the editor category (took two years), WSFS is currently in the middle of possible passage of an amendment to get rid of the semiprozine category (last year was year one, this year will be year two). But to say WSFS refused to consider a category means that you or someone you know proposed one at the Business Meeting and was declared out of order.

So have whatever opinions you want about Worldcon and Dragon*Con, but please, have your facts right and don't circulate incorrect information about either of them.
--
Steven H Silver
[log in to unmask] (preferred)

Read my first short story, "Les Lettres de Paston" at http://www.sfsite.com/~silverag/les_lettres_de_paston.htm
ISFiC Press's latest: When Diplomacy Fails, edited by Eric Flint & Mike Resnick, http://www.isficpress.com
Many Very Educated Men Just Screwed Up Nine...