At 08:43 PM 5/26/2009, you wrote:
>I just bought a one inch two track ATR and have nothing to play on
>it. I feel like I just bought a tuxedo and only have a pair of brown
>shoes--- no place to go!

If I had a machine like you just described, I'd build a portable rig
for it, make sure I had two good mics and two good preamps, buy a
case of mag tape, scout out the clubs for good musicians (mainly
jazz), and start making my own master tapes.

Some years ago, I realized commercial mass-market late 1970s
rice-krispies-sounding LPs were far less than perfect and if I wanted
something good to listen to on my stereo system, I'd have to record
it myself.  Since then, I've rolled a fair amount of tape on all
manner of things and while the talent was far from A-list, I got some
interesting results.  I learned a lot in the process, and came to
know many wonderful folks along the way.  Once in a great while, I
still do it, though these days it seems I run into more cassette
transfers than anything else.

IMHO, you have a heck of an opportunity.