Hi Ken:

The 1" 2-track format was not used much in this country back in ye dayes. It has been used sometimes
in recent times. I doubt anyone would part with their master tape unless the tape ended up in their
hands by ill means. A real-deal master tape is a copyrighted entity and fees must be paid to the
musicians who performed and/or the record company that funded the sessions, at least by the old
models. There are probably many "master tapes" floating around by groups who never made it and
abandoned music and their tapes fell through the cracks and ended up on ebay. But I doubt any of
them are 1" 2-track as this is a premium format used by premium-priced studios. There are exceptions
to every rule, there may be some 1" 2-track "masters" made by the kids of extremely rich folks out
there or "projects of the heart not the head" by aspiring musicians.

I think folks on this list who have actually been "in the vaults" will back me up -- almost all
2-track masters from the "golden age" of recording made in the US were 1/4". I don't recall seeing
even 1/2" 2-track widely used until the late 1980's, and then it was premium priced so only
recording projects with some budget were using it as the mastering format.

In this country, 1" came into use mainly for 8-track recording, and briefly for Scully's 12-track
format (a forerunner of 2" 24-track). It found a resurgence as a 5.1 surround format (1" 6-track),
but this ended up being a small niche and note that the sound-only 5.1 formats (SACD and DVD-audio)
have been relegated to a niche, a shrinking one at that since audiophile attention seems focused on
the "vinyl revival". I do know there were a few 1" 2-track decks sold in this country but I would
bet the total number of professionally-produced 2-track master tapes is tiny. Not that many
recording projects have _any_ budget these days, but those that do tend to be of the
Protools/mastered in the DAW variety.

-- Tom Fine