An ATR-100 series 15/30 ips 1" 2-track is the Rolls Royce of all
mastering decks. The heads may need lapping and I would make sure the
thing is biased correctly if you plan on recording with it but that baby
is insane. I would say the Studer may have it beat on machining of parts
but from a sonic standpoint that is just about the finest solid-state
beast ever made. Others may disagree but no one will question its place
in the pantheon of audio history.

 I mated the ATR transport with the legendary MR-70 electronics for a
one-of-a-kind Frankenstein that was imho even better, but for a stock
machine, unbeatable.

AA