>That's funny I've been using LaCie's for the past 8 years
>with no  problems, as opposed to some others out there.
>Maybe it's because I  use a Mac., but even in a windows
>environment, the LaCies have been  rock solid.

The LaCie drives have nice boxes, compared to some that I've
seen, but I don't like the power connectors, they seem
rather delicate if you are plugging and unplugging them a
lot. I've had no problem with LaCie.
On the other hand, I wouldn't recommend Western Digital
(specifically the MyBook series). I've had lots of problems
with their "drive manager" software when using multiple
firewire drives.
Recently I started buying internal SATA drives. My newest
computer has 2 drive bays in front with caddys, so I can
swap drives in and out easily. for my older computer, I have
a USB SATA docking station that I can plug the drives into.
They are much cheaper than external drives (which are really
just internal drives in a case). You can store them in the
box they came in, inside the anti-stat bag. I've been
getting 1.5TB ones for about $120. I use Seagate.
One question I have is whether solid-state drives will prove
to be a reliable long term storage solution. Right now they
are too expensive for me to consider..

-Matt Sohn
(Wishing I was coming back from the NAVCC tour right about
now...)