Thanks to all who replied.  I had been aware of Gega/Gega New but had
assumed they were a wholly separate operation (which it seems they
are).  All signs led to Balkanton's demise in the late 90s, until I
received the definitive answer from Suze Stentz of the East European
Folklife Center list, via Joel (thanks!) -- copied here for all who
are interested.

Best,
Aaron

*****************

Hello guys,

As of June 2008, Balkanton is still alive and as well as can be, given
the economic situation. We saw the Balkanton ladies in a pastry cafe,
although we had no shopping to do. B'ton has no web presence that we
know of; still in their original location in Sofia. They issue new CDs
occasionally but mostly of the compilation variety.

Balkanton is located at No.6 Haidoushka Polyana St, Sofia BG
email: [log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask]
[copy to both because email addresses are fleeting]

The folks that interact with customers only speak Bulgarian, but
there's probably someone there who reads English.  Somewhere in my
notes, I might have a phone number, but I feel sure that conversation
would be in Bulgarian.

Of GegaNew, who replaced Gega, I'd say they are a more modern rival
company (colleague company??) with better financial resources to make
new productions, but who also specialize as Balkanton does, in classic
music, with a sideline of folk offerings.There have always been 3-4
other flourishing companies in Sofia, each with a small number of folk
titles, as well as companies in other BG cities.