From: "Frances, Melodie" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, May 11, 2009 9:13 PM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] vinegar reel to reel - is it safe to play?

All

I could not find the exact answer to my question so thought I would try
here as you all are so helpful.

We have some reel to reel, probably early 60s with a strong vinegar
smell and some very visible cupping. My question is can I make a digital
copy now or do I need to do some 'stuff' before I even do that? I can
get the information regarding storage etc but could not find info about
if it is safe / wise / unwise to make a digital copy NOW.

Thanks!

Melodie

Melodie Morgan Frances

Head of Cataloging