One more thought: Is it possible that the CD it a bit too hot, and
that the computer D/A is clipping while the others aren't? You can
verify this by burning another CD with slightly lower level (maybe
1dB).  All the other sugestions are valid too, so it might even be a
combination of factors.

Have you ripped the audio back off the CD and examined it in DAW
software?

<L>

Lou Judson  Intuitive Audio
415-883-2689