Hi Lou,

Glad to hear your still going at 60! Gives me something to live for...

I have to say, though, as much as I love my Deva (I bought one of the
first, back in '97) and the 788, I still find myself hauling out Ampex
and Studer tape machines, along with an absolutely outrageously
overpriced collection of Neumann tube mikes and a Studer console, for
the music gigs I care about.

Yeah, here is a little speed drift, and a little (very little) noise,
but I can live with that compared to what I hear from some of the
digital recordings I've done (even with high-end A/D converters). I
figure that if I hauled Ampex 351's when I started my career, I can do
it now (OK, maybe not as fast!). And while there are certainly better
transports out there, I still love the simplicity of the 351 and MR-70
audio electronics.

(FYI-Even working in Detroit in the late 1960's, I never needed a
lummox with a gun, even working downtown, but my C.O. card is looking
sadly out of date... :)

--Scott D. Smith
(From the conference. Where are you?!)