In our core Information Organization course we use Taylor's Information
Organization, 3rd edition.

In my two cataloging courses (intro and advanced) we use Taylor's cataloging
text, 10th edition, and MARC 21 for Everyone by Fritz & Fritz.

Students also submit research papers in the introductory cataloging course.
Some of the topics include:

--the issue and practice of catalogerís judgment

--structured organization of information and its role in the current
information environment

--a literature review of relevant journals from the past few years,
identifying important issues, why they are important, etc.

--Resource Description and Access (RDA) vs. AACR2: arguments for and against
implementing new cataloging rules

--The MARC bibliographic format in a digital environment and potential
changes to it due to the new cataloging rules (RDA).

--Objectives of a library catalog in a digital environment--many catalogs
are no longer standalone, how does this changes its objectives (i.e.,
Cutter, etc.). Look at Svenonius, and others, for guidance.

--Uniform headings and the nature of authority work in library cataloging

--Impact of electronic information resources in library catalogs and on
cataloging practices--these resources have been around now for a while, how
have they impacted the cataloging process and library catalogs in general

--Digital libraries, library catalogs, and portals--progress, implications,
challenges, etc.

--Cataloging materials in a non-Roman language--what are the issues,
challenges, etc.

Shawne D. Miksa, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Library and Information Sciences
College of Information
University of North Texas
email: [log in to unmask]
http://courses.unt.edu/smiksa/index.htm