Dear FLICC Colleagues:

Attached and below is a letter from Dr. Edward B. Knipling, Administrator of the USDA Agricultural Research Service announcing the search and competitive recruitment for a new Director of the National Agricultural Library.  The application period is June 8 through August 17, 2009.  Additional details are contained in the letter.

Maria G. Pisa

Associate Director for Public Services

National Agricultural Library

301-504-5834

May 2009

Dear Friends and Colleagues of the USDA National Agricultural Library:

I am writing to announce that the search and competitive recruitment process for the new Director of the National Agricultural Library will soon be underway. The application period is June 8 through August 17, 2009. To ensure that we attract a highly skilled and diverse pool of applicants, I solicit your help in identifying highly qualified candidates. We are seeking applicants that have executive training, experience, and/or skills in library science, information technology or management, publishing, and/or business administration. I ask that you share this letter with your colleagues, partners, and stakeholders and encourage everyone to email contact information of prospective candidates to: [log in to unmask].

We are seeking an innovative and dynamic leader for this Senior Executive Service appointment. The successful candidate will possess excellent leadership and communication skills and a compelling vision for strategic approaches to the development and operation of next generation library and information systems and services. This challenging and highly visible position, with national and international responsibilities, requires a broad knowledge of issues in information management, a passion for public service, and demonstrated skill in fostering collaborations.

Applicants must meet required qualifications, as specified in the vacancy announcements (ARS-SES:09-04 or ARS-SES:09-05), and address specific executive core and technical qualifications. Applicants need only respond to the vacancy announcement that best meets his/her educational and experience background. Some citizenship restrictions apply. Interested candidates should obtain the position announcement from www.afm.ars.usda.gov/divisions/hrd/, beginning Monday, June 8, 2009.

For questions regarding qualifications and application procedures contact Deborah Crump, Human Resources Assistant, at [log in to unmask] or 301-504-1448. For information regarding the NAL mission and programs, I refer you to the NAL website (www.nal.usda.gov) or Ms. Maria Pisa one of NAL’s Division Directors, at [log in to unmask] or 301-504-5834. Applications must be received by Monday, August 17, 2009.

Sincerely,

EDWARD B. KNIPLING /s/

Administrator, USDA Agricultural Research Service