From: "Mike Taylor" <[log in to unmask]>
>let's throw away
> the SRU-specific schema identifiers and use the OpenURL ones in SRU.

I have three concerns, and if they could be satisfied I could go along with
this.

(1)
How do we go about getting a format registered?  If it is not a lightweight
process, it isn't going to work for us.

For SRU it is a  lightweight process:   Someone wants to register a schema.
We have a brief (public) discussion about whether it should go on the
well-known or a private list. If it belongs on the well-known list it is
registered immediately (I maintain that list). If it does not, then I assign
the proposer an authority string and he/she registers it under that string.
If the proposer already has a string it can be registered immediately
without my intervention, unless the proposer wishes it to be listed in the
register (even though it's not on the well-known list), in which case it is
listed immediately upon request.

Unless there is some similar lightweight process that can be offered to
register schemas within the OpenURL register (or the existing process can be
so adapted), this won't work.

(2)
And along those lines, my second concern is that the OpenURL register does
not offer the delegation of authority that the SRU process does (i.e. the
"authority string").  I am certainly willing to continue to serve as
registrar for SRU schemas, even if they are registered under the  OpenURL
registry, if the process can be adapted to provide such a mechanism.

So we need some feedback on these concerns from those of you more familiar
than I am with the OpenURL process.

(3)
My third concern is the effect such a change would have on existing
implementations, so we would need feedback from implementors on this.

--Ray