At 04:50 AM 2009-06-12, George Brock-Nannestad wrote:
>----- you seem to presume (as did Mike Biel) that from one reel we get two
>reels. In a world where we could store each item according to its individual
>climatic requirements, this would be natural. However, why not keep it on one
>reel, only shuffled according to Eric's rule (1). This would only mean to
>stick end-to end that which has already been necessary work for the transfer
>process.
>
>The question then becomes a combination of "tails out?" and "acetate or
>polyester out?". I would propose SS-prone out, because that provides the
>largest radius of curvature of that part of the pack.

I would strongly suggest that it be SSS-prone in because the goal
here is to remove the acetate tape prior to re-baking.

As to the ethics of what is being done, I was assuming that despite
leader and taking splices apart that Eric is assembling a tight A-B
roll and having similar if not-identical crossfades in the final,
delivered file. The concept here -- and it certainly needs to be
noted -- that the digital surrogate matches the original in the
condition originally found to the best of our ability and that the
original was disassembled in order to obtain the best possible
digital copy and to facilitate re-play with the needed processing.