Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=111). The server is probably not started. LISTSERV 16.0 - ARSCLIST Archives

James, George Dick et al.

Thanks for your help here. Every company is different, but I'm always
skeptical that I'm misinterpreting the data if I find too many
alternate takes (except Edison). Above about 10% in a given run of 78s
like Emerson where I don't know the system used for designating takes,
I usually question if what I think are take numbers are stamper
numbers or something.

I've never really relied on aural comparison (though it is obvious in
some cases, see: http://cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/search.php?queryType=@attr%201=1020&query=cylinder4373&num=1&start=1&sortBy=&sortOrder=id)
. I don't trust my ears enough to detect the often slight variations
between takes. In the acoustic era it's not exactly like different
versions of The Dead doing Dark Star (though many would say these all
sound the same too, I suppose), but aural memory is notoriously
unreliable.

My method is usually to lay the edge of a piece of paper across the
center hole of the disc and mark the beginning and end of the grooves.
Then I lay this paper on the other disc and see if they match. Even if
one take is only a few seconds shorter or longer it will be obviously
different as even a couple of grooves difference is noticable.

I'm sure George's method works too, but the paper and pencil method is
very quick and we are essentially measuring the same thing in
different ways.

David