I agree that Les Paul takes undue credit for many things but what Tom
describes as multi-track recording in Hollywood is not strictly speaking
correct. To me multi-tracking means being able to change separate levels
AFTER the process, what he is describing is more like sound-on-sound as
opposed to multi-tracking as we commonly understand it today. The same
is true of Mike Biel's assertion adding a sound or a voice to an already
existing recording, this involves a generational loss whereas with
multi-tracking and overdubbing as we employ it today it does not. But
sound-on-sound, stereo and a bunch of other so-called modern techniques
clearly had their unique antecedents which should be accorded their due.
I nevertheless stand by my basic assertion that the reason for so many
alternate takes was the recording process of the 78 era. I am well aware
that some exceptions do exist and I apologize for not duly noting them.

AA