-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Steve Abrams
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 9:16 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Download a W.E.R.M.

The World's Encyclopaedia of Recorded Music (WERM), an heroic endeavour by
F. F. Clough and G. J. Cuming published in 1951, "aimed at the inclusion of
every record of permanent music issued since the advent of electrical
recording up to April, 1950, throughout the world". Three Supplements
covered the period up to the end of 1955.

The whole of the W.E.R.M. has been scanned and put online by CHARM, the
Centre for the History and Analysis of Recorded Music, and is available for
free download in PDF format from their site:

http://www.charm.rhul.ac.uk/discography/disco_resources.html

Their  PDF of the 1951 WERM is a huge, 357 MB, unsearchable image scan. Mr.
Joseph Serraglio has converted it to a searchable format, downsampled it to
reduce file size by 60%, and uploaded it to Rapidshare.

http://rapidshare.com/files/242040824/WERM_1951_-searchable-optimized.pdf
(148 MB)

This volume, pp. 912 including the first supplement, was posted to a private
list, but Mr. Serraglio has given me permission to pass the link to
ARSCLIST.

The scans of the second and third supplements on Charm are similarly bloated
and also unsearchable.  However, Mr. Serraglio has drawn  my attention to
the fact that compact searchable PDF scans of these two volumes, 294 and 599
pages respectively, are available from the Internet Archive, courtesy of
Microsoft:

http://www.archive.org/details/secondsupplement010477mbp (33 MB)

http://www.archive.org/details/thirdsupplement1007508mbp (82 MB)

If you keep all three files in a single folder you can search all of them at
once.

Finally, the Gramophone Shop Encyclopaedias of 1936 and 1942 are also
available in PDF from the Internet Archive:

http://www.archive.org/details/gramophoneshopen010034mbp
(1936 edition - 68 MB)

http://www.archive.org/details/gramophoneshopen007344mbp
(1942 edition -  60 MB)