I would like to see a listing of these.Someone once told me there are classical records,including one of Mischa Elman.Is there ?

                                              Roger

--- On Thu, 6/25/09, Jack Theakston <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Jack Theakston <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Recording Innovations
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thursday, June 25, 2009, 3:08 PM

The Vitaphone discs did have a start point, which was ultimately your sync mark.  It was a little arrow on the inner point of the film, on which you synced up to a start point on the film.  The difficulty, of course, was if the film broke, you couldn't just slug it with one frame of leader because the cement splice couldn't take the stress.  Instead, you had to cut two or more frames out, leaving a noticeable slug.  Sound-on-film, of course, was no problem, because there's no way for it to drop out of sync.

With proper care, even on manual rewinds (which should all have a tension brake on them), a film should be returned in the same condition as the day it came in.

J. Theakston