From: Rob DeLand [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2009 11:52 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Fisk Jubilee Singers discography?

Tim Brooks included a photo of a 1997 Fisk cylinder recording session (photo on pg. 214, courtesy of Steve Ramm) – was that the ARSC recording you mention?I wonder how many recordings there were between when Dixon & Godrich left off in 1940 and the present.I got through about half the Fisk chapter on my commute home tonight.How beautifully written!Very interesting, insightful commentary all the way through.I see the three Document CD’s cover the entire output covered in D&G (through 1940) EXCEPT for the nine Edison cylinders from 1912.I don’t have a lot of Fisk 78s, but I do have 16453 (individual names listed on the label) and 16487 (individual names not listed).Which are more common, labels with individuals’ names or those without?Another question: Tim mentions the nine Edison cylinder recordings (pg. 200) plus two experimental, vertically cut discs.D&G includes the nine cylinders, but doesn’t mention the discs. I don’t suppose anything remains of the disc masters?Mr. Seubert’s UCSB site includes 5 of the Fisk cylinder titles, and it sounds like the originals must have been in relly good shape.Have the other 4 titles all been located in one collection or another?I meant to read the rest of the Lost Sounds chapter tonight but got sucked in by the Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett coverage.How sad to lose both of them!I always hoped Jackson would bounce back for one more great album, I bet he had it in him.What a waste … so sad.Thanks,Rob -----Original Message----- From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2009 06:28 PM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Fisk Jubilee Singers discography? Any discography would not be complete without listing the recordings they made at the ARSC Conference in (year?). Was it Nashville? No, South Carolina maybe? joe salerno Rob DeLand wrote: > Dear collective wisdom,Hello - I’m a lurker who has planned to introduce himself for a long time, but I haven’t gotten to it yet.I joined ARSC in 2007 and I’m the librarian at VanderCook College of Music in Chicago.I’ve also reissued piano rolls of ragtime, blues and reproducing piano rolls for the past 20 years.I'm trying to locate a discography of the Fisk Jubilee Singers, particularly their earliest works. I have skimmed over ch. 14 of Lost Sounds and I need to re-read it more carefully.The 2nd footnote says that “Dark Midnight When I Rise: The Story of the Fisk Jubilee Singers” by Andrew Ward is a recommended bio; are there any better choices?It also indicates that Dixon & Godrich is the best discography available; I’ll look this up when I get home. I don’t suppose anything more is available yet?Finally, are the Document CD's the best place to go for these early recordings? A private reply would be fine - thank you!Rob DeLand >