Allen wrote:

Patrick says: "We do not possess any document in which Edison  explains
the circumstances under which he thought his keyboard telephone might
be
used, or what its practical benefits might be."  And yet also: "Edison's

notebook entries of 26 May 1877 show that he was then already eager to
build
both a speech recorder and a speech generator," So I am confused. Is
there a
reason why this May 26th document was not quoted (in the article),
regarding
such a 'recorder'? And what was the actual imagined method of
"recording"?

There is a device at Greenfield Village here in Michigan that is a pair
of flat copper discs -- square -- on paired turntables. This is an
Edison device which I believe Gelatt cited as an intermediary one on the
way to the phonograph.

It was designed to pick up telegraph signals and to etch them into the
first copper disc. Then it would engrave the same signal to the second,
which would send the second message out after a certain period of time.
I assume the discs were removable, though they are screwed down with
large brass bulbs.

I would love to know if this device makes any audible sound, and of
course, what the messages are on the discs. I would be very happy to
suggest that the First Sounds group should investigate it -- I can take
you right to the thing.

In any event, the point is that this device might well have been one of
the steps TAE took in building "a speech recorder and a speech
generator;" and might partly explain why he thought that the two things
were necessarily separate entities.

David N. "Uncle Dave" Lewis
Assistant Editor, Classical

Macrovision Solutions Corporation
www.macrovision.com
www.allmusic.com
www.allmovie.com
www.allgame.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message (including any attachments)
is for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain
copies of the original message. Thank you.