Russell,

I had this same problem.  I don't know if this helps, but I believe that
when I added the following to our stylesheets, the issue resolved.

        <xsl:when test='@href | @entityref'>
            <xsl:element name='a'>
                <xsl:attribute name="style">
                    *[Custom information here]*
                </xsl:attribute>
                <xsl:attribute name='href'>
                    <xsl:call-template name="*[custom information here]"*/>
                </xsl:attribute>
*                <xsl:if test='@show="new"'>
                    <xsl:attribute name="target">new</xsl:attribute>
                </xsl:if>*
                <xsl:apply-templates/>
            </xsl:element>
        </xsl:when>