Hi Everyone -

Please join us for the next in our regular monthly series of free Department of the Interior Library Park Ranger Speaker Series lectures entitled "Inside the West Wing of the White House" on Wednesday, June 24th from 1:00 - 1:45 pm in the Department of the Interior Library.

Even in the earliest days of nationhood, it was recognized that the Presidential Mansion did not offer quite enough room for all the functions required of a head of state. In fact, soon after moving in, Thomas Jefferson proposed one-story extensions to the east and west to connect the president's house with adjacent office buildings. However it wasn’t until 100 years later during the administration of Theodore Roosevelt that a one-story office structure, connected to the western side of the residence by a colonnaded gallery, was added. Soon this space became known as the “West Wing” of the White House.

Please join Park Ranger Alan Curry for a look at the history of the West Wing of the White House, including changes that have been made to the Executive office space through different Presidential administrations. Find out why these additions and changes were deemed necessary and how the Oval Office got its shape and name.

All that are interested are invited.  The DOI Library is located in the Main Interior Building , located at 1849 C Street, NW , Room 1151 in Washington .  Space is limited so please contact the Library by phone at (202) 208-5815 or by e-mail at [log in to unmask] to let us know you will be coming.    For more information about future DOI Library Park Ranger Speaker Series programs, we encourage you to visit our Park Ranger Speaker Series website at http://library.doi.gov/programs/speaker/index.html .

We hope to see you here on June 24th!

George Franchois
Director
U.S. Dept. of the Interior Library