From: ISO 639 Joint Advisory Committee [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Joan Spanne
Sent: Friday, June 05, 2009 8:06 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Fw: Inclusion of Latgalian language in ISO639

Hello All,

Lucas gave helpful information wrt the very small percentage of [lav] that appears to be more specifically Latgalian in the Library of Congress (and even smaller proportion known to be Samogitian--though that actually relates to Lithuanian, not Latvian). That would indicate that separating Latgalian from Latvian without a split or a change to [lav] to the scope of macrolanguage would be acceptable.

However, I would like to forward this note from one of the two distinct requesters, and ask the thoughts of the JAC specifically on the question of which is approach is preferred by the JAC:

  1. simply allowing the creation of a separate code element for Latgalian in Part 3, with no change to [lav]
  1. change [lav] to a macrolanguage, with the constituents of Standard Latvian and Latgalian.

The requester has noted the decision made in the 2009 series of changes for ISO 639-3 with regard to Estonian, and sees it as a good pattern to follow. He also supplies some additional information on development movements.

Thanks in advance for considering and responding.

Joan

----- Forwarded by Joan Spanne/IntlAdmin/WCT on 2009-06-05 09:23 AM -----

Jancs <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject

Re: Inclusion of Latgalian language in ISO639

Dear Joan,

Quoting [log in to unmask]:

> Hello Janis,
>
> Another individual has initiated a request to add Latgalian to the ISO
> 639-3 standard. Thank you for the additional information you supply. I
> anticipate I will be able to post more information on that request to the
> ISO 639-3 website within the next few weeks. It is a complex situation
> because of the relationship to Latvian.

I'd like to add some more information on the subject:

a week ago I submitted an initiative document regarding this problem
to the States Language commission (SLC) of Latvia. Knowing from whom
came the first initiative could be helpful to unite the efforts and
get academic support for the issue. As far as i know, this initiative
does not comes from the memebers of SLC as the person (professor
A.Stafecka) in lead of Latgalian grammar subcommission was absolutely
unaware about it and actually encouraged me to write respective letter
to SLC).

Yes, I agree that the process could be not easy. As I see it at the
moment is that the Latvian should be changed to macro language (as out
neighbours - Estonian) and added Latgalian as the sub-language (also -
like in the case with Estonian and Voro). That example showed that the
intitiative group of Voro changed the est status and succeeded in
introduction of Voro.

Sincerely -

Janis Eisaks

--
Lobs cylv�ks

V�� 243 miene�i da pensejis

http://dict.dv.lv
http://tehvi.dv.lv

X-Quarantine ID  /var/spool/MD-Quarantine/05/qdir-2009-05-29-05.07.05-001